GARDEN GROVE CITY COUNCIL
A RESOLUTION OF THE CITY COUNCIL OF THE CITY OF GARDEN GROVE ESTABLISHING A LOW INCOME SENIOR DISCOUNT PROGRAM FOR WATER CUSTOMERS
WHEREAS, in October 2016, the City Council approved the hiring of a consulting firm to develop a five-year water financial plan to study the Water Enterprise financial condition and make recommendations for maintaining the financial stability to the Water Enterprise Fund;
WHEREAS, in order for the City to maintain and operate the City’s water system, repay bond indebtedness, and to comply with new and existing regulations imposed by state and federal agencies, the consulting firm has recommended the implementation of automatic annual adjustments to the water rates over a five-year period;
WHEREAS, to partially mitigate the financial impacts of the proposed higher fixed charges, the Water Services Division is proposing a Low Income Senior Discount Program for eligible water customers;
WHEREAS, the proposed discount program will have the following eligibility criteria:
- ) resident must live at the billing address;
- ) the water bill must be in the resident’s name;
- ) the resident must be 65 years of age or older; and
- ) the resident must be enrolled in Southern California Edison’s CARE program;
WHEREAS, initially, a $10 per billing period discount will be offered;
WHEREAS, the amount of the discount for each qualifying applicant will be reassessed after each fiscal year to determine whether the discount must be adjusted based on the availability of funds; and
WHEREAS, the discount program will be funded using non-rate revenues, such as late fees.
NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED by the City Council of the City of Garden Grove as follows:
- The above recitals are true and correct and here by incorporated herein by reference.
- The City Council hereby establishes a Low Income Senior Discount Program for water customers funded by non-rate revenues for customers meeting the following eligibility criteria:
- a) the resident must live at the billing address;
- b) the water bill must be in the resident’s name;
- c) the resident must be 65 years of age or older; and
- d) the resident must be enrolled in Southern California Edison’s CARE program.
- A $10 per billing period discount will be offered to eligible customers for the program’s inception. This amount will be reassessed after each fiscal year to determine whether the discount must be adjusted based on the availability of funds. The City Manager is authorized to approve adjustments to the discount subject to the consent of the Finance Director.
- This Resolution and the Low Income Senior Discount Program shall commence upon the effective date of the Ordinance adjusting water rates, which is being introduced concurrently herewith.