“With the growing obsession on texting and social media, distracted driving has become an epidemic, and distracted walking has become an increasingly serious problem, not just in Garden Grove, but nationwide. More and more people are getting injured and killed for something that could wait. This is something we all have to think about." Police Chief Todd Elgin
Accident Reduction Campaign
In response to the nationwide increase of fatal accidents involving distracted drivers, and pedestrians and bicyclists not following traffic rules, the Garden Grove Police Department Accident Reduction Team was organized as part of a City campaign to reduce traffic collisions, and to prevent fatal accidents involving pedestrians and bicyclists.
According to the Accident Reduction Team, more people are using electronic devices while driving and walking. To reduce the number of fatalities in Garden Grove, the Accident Reduction Team started conducting Crosswalk Operations, Bicyclist and Pedestrian Operations, and enforcing “zero tolerance” weeks.
This year-round effort focuses on re-educating commuters on traffic safety rules, and the importance of safely sharing roads.
The Accident Reduction Team is a component of the Neighborhood Traffic Unit (NTU). The mission of the NTU is to improve the quality of life by providing the safest and most efficient flow of vehicle and pedestrian traffic throughout the city. The NTU enforces traffic laws and educates the community, in an effort to accomplish their mission.Garden Grove Police Department
11301 Acacia Parkway
California Office of Traffic Safety
The mission of the California Office of Traffic Safety (OTS) is to effectively and efficiently administer traffic safety grant funds to reduce traffic deaths, injuries, and economic losses.
OTS strives to eliminate traffic deaths and injuries by making grants available to local and state public agencies for programs that help enforce traffic laws, educate the public in traffic safety, and provide varied and effective means to reduce fatalities and injuries.
In 2017, the Garden Grove Police Department received a $286,000 grant from OTS for a year-long program of special enforcements and public awareness efforts to prevent fatal traffic accidents.
- October 21-27, 2018 - National Teen Driver Safety Week
- October 22-26, 2018 - National School Bus Safety Week
- October 31, 2018 - Halloween High Visibility Enforcement
OTS Monthly Newsletter
Police Department News Releases:
2018 News Releases
- Garden Grove Police to Conduct DUI / Driver's License Checkpoint
- September is California Pedestrian Safety Month
- Summer Mobilization - Drive Sober or Get Pulled Over
- Celebrate Cinco de Mayo with a Designated Sober Driver
- Ten Years of Hands-Free Law: Challenges Remain
- DUI Saturation Patrol Planned on St. Patrick's Day
City News Releases:
2018 News Releases
2017 News Releases
- Careless Drivers Get Expensive Lesson During Police Crosswalk Operation
- April is National Distracted Driving Awareness Month
2016 News Releases
- Drivers Ignoring Pedestrians Get Expensive Lesson
- City Launches Campaign to Reduce Traffic Fatalities