Catalytic converters can be stolen in as little as two minutes. A catalytic converter is a round canister that connects two pieces of piping in the exhaust to protect the exhaust system from harmful emissions. Thieves steal catalytic converters for the value of the metals they contain. Victims pay anywhere from $1,000 to $2,000 to replace a catalytic converter.
You will know you have been a victim of catalytic converter theft when you turn on your ignition and hear a loud roaring sound. The sound will get louder when you step on the accelerator and the car will sputter as you change your speed. Driving without a catalytic converter can damage your engine and other components, and therefore should be replaced soon as possible.
You can help prevent catalytic converter theft by doing the following:
- Always park in welllit areas, heavily traveled areas, or near surveillance cameras.
- Park your vehicle inside the garage if possible.
- Install a car alarm system on your vehicle with sensors that detect vibrations.
- Engrave your VIN (Vehicle Identification Number) on the catalytic
converter to make it easier to identify if it gets stolen.
- Have your catalytic converter welded to your vehicle.
If you’ve been a victim of a catalytic converter theft, please call the Garden Grove Police Department at (714) 741-5704 to file a police report.