Skip to main content

Code Enforcement FAQ's

Can I have a red (or blue) line painted or repainted at the curb in front of my house?

Yes. This is allowed in some situations. Please contact Traffic Engineering at (714) 741-5192 for more information.

Can I park a storage bin on the street in front of my house? Or: someone has a large cargo container parked out in the street. Whom do I contact?

Please contact Public Works Engineering at (714) 741-5192 for information on the code and restrictions pertaining to containers.

A car has been parked/left on my street for more than a week. Can you have it removed?

The Police Department are solely authorized to cite or impound vehicles parked in excess of 72 hours on public streets. Please call them at (714) 741-5704.

Does Code Enforcement remove debris dumped in City alleys, City owned properties and other City rights of way?
  • No. Public Works coordinates the removal of couches, mattresses, and other large items from City owned alleys and rights of way with Republic Services. To report items for pick up, contact Public Works at (714) 741-5375.
  • Republic Services offers residents, free of charge, three (3) bulky/large item pickups per year, and up to 10 items per pick up. Residents can make arrangements directly with Republic Services by calling (714) 238-2444.
  • The above does not apply to homeless person property, or vacant City owned property. For vacant City-owned property, please contact Economic Development at (714) 741-5181.
Does Code Enforcement remove debris items or abandoned furniture in the front of private property?

No. Once reported to Code Enforcement, the property owner will be notified to have the items removed.

My neighbors have built a large shed in their back yard/side yard. How can I determine if it has been permitted?

For permitting inquiries please call the Permit Center at (714) 741-5307.

My neighbor has parties/plays loud music/plays drums till 12 midnight. Can you address this?

This would be considered a public disturbance, and needs to be addressed by the Police Department.

My neighbors have kids in the house or out in the yard that are constantly screaming. Can you send them a letter?

The City cannot regulate the noise level of children playing. If this is a case of a public disturbance, please contact the Police Department.

Does Code Enforcement address overcrowding in Single-family or Multi-family properties?

No. Please refer to Building Abatement FAQ’s for information: Building Abatement FAQ or call Building Abatement at (714) 741-5172.

Does Code Enforcement address rental contracts and other landlord/tenant disputes?

No. Code Enforcement regulates land use and aesthetics/property maintenance. Rental issues and landlord/tenant disputes can by addressed by contacting the Fair Housing Foundation at (800) 446-3247.

Are religious assemblies/temples permitted in residential zones?

Yes. Cities that have attempted to prohibit small religious gatherings at residences similar to Girl/Boy Scout Troop or Book Club meetings, 2 have generally been unsuccessful in litigation. Religious assembly is permitted in the same scope as scout troop meetings and book club meetings. In addition, religious expression via small signs, decorations, or architecture is a protected activity. Please refer to the Religious Land Use and Institutionalized Persons Act of 2000 (RLUIPA) U.S.C.42 for additional details of these protections.

I received a bill for a family member who was cited for graffiti. I need to speak with someone about this. Can you help me?

Questions regarding graffiti restitution can be answered by contacting the Graffiti Restitution/Youth Services Unit at the Police Department (714) 741-5849. Invoices received for graffiti restitution can be paid at the Cashier's Office on the 1st floor of City Hall.

I want to report someone widening their driveway approach or putting in a second approach.

Please contact Public Works Engineering at (714) 741-5192 to find out whether or not they have a permit for the work being done.

My neighbor’s tree is hanging over onto my yard and dumping leaves onto my pool or driveway. Can you do something about this?

This is a civil matter between you and your neighbor. The City does not regulate the placement of trees or how big/tall they grow. As a property owner you have the right to cut the tree back to the property line.

Does the City address code violations in mobile home parks?

No. Any violations within mobile home parks are investigated by the Mobile Home Ombudsman’s office at the California Department of Housing and Community Development. Complaints may be filed online at:

Does the City address trees growing into electrical power lines or utility lines?

No. Southern California Edison is responsible for maintaining electrical power or utility lines. If there is vegetation growing in to the power lines that needs to be trimmed, please call (800) 655-4555. To report an object that is caught in power lines, please call (800) 611-1911.

Does Code Enforcement address the paint color of house exteriors?

No. There are no Codes that regulate the paint color of house exteriors.

There is a tree on my neighbor’s property that is blocking the public sidewalk/street/alley

Please contact the Public Works Department at (714) 741-5384.

There is a tree in my neighborhood blocking the Stop sign/No Parking sign/Street name/Speed limit sign/Signal light.

Please contact the Public Works Department at (714) 741-5384.

The trees in my neighbor’s yard have roots that are causing damage to my property.

This is not a Code Enforcement issue. It is a civil matter between the two property owners.

The wall/fence between my house and my neighbor’s is falling down. Or: my neighbor’s fence is not built on the property line.

Generally speaking, walls/fences are not required between private properties unless one of the properties has a swimming pool. The Building Department may be able to assist with a broken/damaged/falling down block wall. For issues regarding the property line, we recommend you hire a private surveyor to determine where the property lines are. If there is a discrepancy, it would be a civil matter between the two property owners.

Please ask my neighbor to remove his Christmas lights.

The Garden Grove Municipal Code currently does not have an ordinance that addresses Christmas lights or yard décor.

Apartment dwellers/non-residents are parking in front of my house. Can I get a ‘permit only’ parking area designated in front of my house?

No. For more information, please contact Traffic Engineering at (714) 741-5192.

Someone is selling several cars on the street. All of them have “For Sale” signs on them. Can you address this?

No. Advertising vehicles for sale on public streets is considered a form of free speech. It has been determined to be in violation of the Constitution for the City to prevent persons from selling vehicles on the street.

Does Code Enforcement cite or remove abandoned vehicles from streets, or vehicles parked in excess of 72 hours in public rights of way?

No: the Garden Grove Police Department's traffic division addresses these issues. Please call (714) 741-5704.

Does Code Enforcement address the number of vehicles parked in public rights of way?

No. Anyone is free to park their vehicles on any City right of way as long as they are operational and rated for residential-zoned parking.

Does Code Enforcement address the number of vehicles parked in a private driveway?

No. Anyone is free to park their vehicles on their private property as long as they are operational and rated for residential-zoned parking.

My neighbor does not adjust his/her sprinklers, and regularly waters the sidewalk and the driveway. Can you address this?

Please contact the Public Works, Water Services Division at (714) 741-5375 to report excess or wasted water issues.

Does Code Enforcement address “dead” pools/insect infestations?

No. Orange County Vector Control investigates these matters. They can be reached at (714) 971-2421.

Are you enforcing water restrictions? My neighbor regularly washes his driveway.

Please call Water Services at (714) 741-5395.

My neighbor’s dog barks constantly. Can you talk to him about this?

Barking dog requests are addressed by Garden Grove Animal Care Services. They can be reached at (714) 741-5565 or via email at: To read more about the services, please visit: Garden Grove Animal Care Services

Who do I contact regarding dead birds, or other dead animals in view?

Call Orange County Vector Control at (714) 971-2421 or online at

There is a bee hive, can you take care of it?

Bees and bee hives on private property are residents responsibility, unless it’s a backyard bee keeper which would be animal control. For bees on Public property (city owned trees, parks, etc) please contact Public Works at (714) - 741 - 5375. Wild bees are addressed by Orange County Beekeepers Association. They can be reached at (714) 839-2337 or

Can I report a violation anonymously?

Yes. Code Enforcement accepts anonymous complaints for municipal code violations such as overgrown lawns, trash cans, auto repair and other residential/commercial property maintenance or land use violations. However, complaints regarding illegal structures, additions or alterations must be reported to Building Abatement directly via the link below, or by calling Building Abatement at (714) 741-5172. Compliant Inspection

Does Code Enforcement remove abandoned shopping carts?

If you see an abandoned shopping cart, please report online at: or call (888) 992-4778

Please be prepared to report the location (exact street address or nearest cross streets) of the shopping cart.

Where and how long can political signs be posted?

Political signs are temporary signs permitted on private property, which can be posted once a candidate files a completed declaration of candidacy and must be removed within five days following an election. For questions, please contact the City Clerk's Office at (714) 741-5040.

Can the City tell me where my property lines are?

Yes. Call Engineering, Public Works at (714) 741-5192 or visit the Engineering Counter on the 1st Floor of City Hall. To determine where the property lines are on the ground, we recommend hiring a surveyor. For more information please visit City Atlas Sheets (Property Lines)