Kim B. Nguyen
Kim Bernice Nguyen was elected to the Garden Grove City Council on November 8, 2016. She is the first Garden Grove City Council Member of Hispanic descent. Her proposed district map was unanimously approved by the City Council to be used for the City’s first district elections in 2016.
Mayor Pro Tem Nguyen has called Garden Grove home since the age of ten. She attended Clinton-Mendenhall Elementary, Doig Intermediate, and Santiago High School. In 2013, she graduated from the University of California Santa Cruz with a degree in politics and a minor in legal studies. She is the first in her family to graduate high school and receive a college degree.
She currently works as a Senior Compliance Analyst at Blue Shield of California Promise Health Plan. Prior to that, she was an intern and a volunteer for then Senator Lou Correa.
In October 2020, Governor Newsom appointed Council Member Nguyen to the California Film Commission. This is the first time a Garden Grove City Council Member was appointed to a state commission.
She's also a member of the Garden Grove Elks Lodge.
To work diligently to bring consensus with my fellow council members, community leaders, and Garden Grove residents to ensure decisions made are reflective and inclusive for the benefit of the entire city.
UC Santa Cruz, Politics and Legal Studies
Regional Government/Committee Involvement
- California Film Commission (CFC), Commissioner
- League of California Cities, City Representative
- OC Division, President
- Community Services Policy Committee Member
- Public Safety Task Force
- Southern California Association of Governments Regional General Assembly Member (SCAG)
- Executive/Administration Committee
- Community, Economic & Human Development Committee
- Orange County Council of Governments Board Member – SCAG District 18
- Santa Ana River Flood Protection Agency, Representative
- Garden Grove Elks Lodge 1952
Garden Grove Resident
Garden Grove resident since the age of ten.