July 4 is approaching, and the City, Garden Grove Police Department and Orange County Fire Authority would like to remind the community to take the necessary precautions to ensure a safe and memorable celebration.
Only safe and sane fireworks bearing the California State Fire Marshal seal may be discharged in Garden Grove on July 4, from 10:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m.
Anyone caught using or possessing illegal fireworks, including misusing or tampering with legal ones, will be subject to a $1,000 fine. Multiple fines can and will be issued to repeat violators.
To report illegal fireworks, call the Garden Grove Police Department's non-emergency number at (714) 741-5704. Be prepared to provide the address where the illegal firework(s) was lit and a description of the individual(s) involved.
Garden Grove firework sales take place from July 1 through July 4. Hours are: 10:00 a.m. to 11:00 p.m., July 1 through 3; and 10:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m. on July 4.
- Be considerate of your neighbors, especially veterans suffering from PTSD.
- Fireworks should be handled by a responsible adult, 18 years of age or older, on private property only.
- Light fireworks outdoors in a clear area and at a safe distance away from people, homes, vehicles, or flammable materials.
- Light one firework at a time and never light a dud.
- Have a bucket of water and a hose nearby to soak fireworks before disposing in a metal trashcan.
- Never point or throw fireworks at another person.
- Do not light fireworks near combustibles such as vegetation and structures.
- Move trashcans with discharged fireworks inside and away from combustibles such as structures.
- Fireworks should only be handled by a responsible adult.
- Sparklers can exceed temperatures up to 1,200 degrees Fahrenheit, which is hot enough to melt gold.
- Never let children pick up pieces of fireworks as some may still be active.
- Parents are liable for any damages or injuries caused by their children using fireworks.
IN CASE OF AN ACCIDENT
- Call 9-1-1
- Run cool water over a burn.
- In case of an eye injury, do not rub, touch, or rinse the eye as this can cause more damage.