The City’s cooling center is activated on high heat days when forecasted temperatures reach or exceed 95 degrees Fahrenheit. The Garden Grove Sports and Recreation Center will open as a public cooling center, located at 13641 Deodara Drive. Cooling center hours are from 11:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
All ages are welcome to enjoy the center’s air-conditioned accommodations. Food will not be available, but visitors are welcome to bring their own meals and dine inside the center.
For more information, please call the Community Services Department at (714) 741-5200 during normal business hours, Monday through Friday, from 8:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
Frequently Asked Questions
- When will the cooling center be activated?
- Are dogs allowed in the cooling center?
- Will food be available for purchase at the cooling center?
- Is the cooling center only for Garden Grove residents?
- What are the COVID-19 guidelines?
The cooling center will be activated when the temperature hits 95 degrees. Residents will be notified as early as 24 hours prior or right before it opens, depending on the weather.
No dogs aren't allowed; however, service dogs are allowed.
Food will not be available, but visitors are welcome to bring their own meals and dine inside the center.
No, the cooling center is open to the public.
- You must wear a face mask at all times.
- You must sign in at the front desk.
- You are required to socially distance, at least 6 feet, from other attendees.
- There will be no access to a drinking fountain.
- Attendees must stay in designated area, unless using the restroom, and all personal items must stay within that space.
We appreciate your cooperation as we all work together to ensure safety for all and minimize exposure of COVID-19.