Skip to main content

Engineering FAQ's

How do I locate my property line?

The best way to locate your property lines is to hire a private, licensed land surveyor to mark your property lines accurately. The City does not provide the service of locating your property lines in the field. Please consult your yellow pages or search the internet for a list of land surveyors in the area.

If you must locate your property lines yourself you can get property line records from the County of Orange website. The property dimensions, existing easements and lot corner monuments are a few of the records available on the county website. You may also try our online research tools available here.

Where do I obtain easement information on my property?

Easement and other records, as shown on the recorded subdivision maps and from other recorded documents found at the County of Orange website Easements from utility companies and other recorded easements are shown in your title report. The City does not have a copy of your title report. You can get your title report from your title company or you can download the various documents from the county website. You may also try our online research tools available here. Some easements are shown on the Assessor's Parcel Maps and the Record Maps.

When is a street permit required?

A street permit is required for any work in the public right-of-way.

This includes excavations, sidewalk, driveway approach, traffic control for lane closures and material/equipment storage in the street.

What does the City require to issue a Street Permit?

The City requires the following:

  1. You must be a California State Licensed contractor with an active City business license to obtain a street permit. Street permits cannot be issued to property owners
    and Class B Licensed Contractors.

  2. The state licensed contractor must provide original insurance policy certificates per the City’s insurance requirements.
  3. Four (4) copies of Engineering plans.
  4. Four (4) copies of Traffic Control plans for lane closure.
What are the fees for the street permit application?

The City's Fee ordinance can be found here: User Fees for Various City Services (pdf).

Unfortunately the fees are calculated based on the work to be done, so you will have to bring in your project submittal and be asked to pay fees after the first plan review or if it a simple project (driveway reconstruction) you will be provided with a fee at the time the permit is issued.

How can I remove my property from a Flood Plain?

Most residents that have properties that are located within a Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) mapped flood plain may be required to maintain flood insurance by their lenders. There is a process to ask FEMA to do a special analysis to determine if your property is not in the flood plain. The process will require that you hire a Registered Civil Engineer or Licensed Land Surveyor to submit an Elevation Certificate (you cannot do this yourself and the City does not provide this service) and request a Letter of Map Revision (LOMR) for your property. The elevation certificate simply provides information that FEMA needs to determine if your property warrants a LOMR. Please keep in mind your property may not warrant a LOMR and your property will still be located in the flood plain. You will not be refunded the money spent on the Elevation Certificate. One way to gauge whether its worth the risk or not is to see how close your property is to the Wintersburg Channel. If your property is close then it is likely you will be in the flood plain. For your reference, additional flood flood zone information is shown here. FEMA does not charge a fee for the LOMA or the analysis of the Elevation Certificate. Once FEMA receives the Elevation Certificate with all of the necessary data, FEMA normally issues its determination within 30 - 60 days.

You may refer to FEMA's frequently asked questions for more information.

What are the City’s requirements for submittal of a grading plan check?

The following are the requirements for the grading plan check submittal:

  • Four (4) sets of grading plans signed by the registered civil engineer
    preparing the plans, including erosion control and water/sewer improvements.

  • Two (2) copies of preliminary soils investigation prepared by a Licensed
    Soils Engineer

  • Two (2) copies of geological investigation prepared by a Licensed Geologist.
  • Two (2) copies of the Engineer’s estimate of grading quantity and construction
    cost for off-site and on-site development.

  • Two (2) copies of the hydrology and hydraulic calculations for any drainage

  • Two (2) copies of Water Quality Management Plan (WQMP), if applicable. You should have already submitted and had approved a preliminary WQMP in the planning process.
  • Two (2) copies of Storm Water Pollution Prevention Plan (SWPPP).
  • One (1) copy each of approved tentative map and/or site plan and approved
    set of Conditions of Approval from other agencies.

  • Plan check fee deposit.
What are the City’s requirements for a final subdivision map check?

The City’s requirements for final subdivision map check are as follows:

  • Three (3) sets stamped and signed blueprints of the subdivision map.
  • A current title report not older than six (6) months.
  • Full set of boundary and lot calculations of areas and traverses.
  • Complete documentation (deeds, record maps and ties used as references).
  • Approved tentative map.
  • Orange County Surveyor’s Office first check letter (if available).
  • One (1) set of Conditions of Approval.
  • A Final map check fee deposit.