Every 10 years, as mandated by the U.S. Constitution, the federal government undertakes a census of the U.S. population to determine the allocation of seats held by each state in the House of Representatives. The next federal census will begin on April 1, 2020.
In addition to determining federal representation, the census is used to distribute federal funding to states and local governments. In the Golden State, more than 70 federal programs that benefit our residents use the Census data and population counts as part of their funding formulas, including the Community Development Block Grant Program, as well as funding for roads, school programs and lunches, children’s health insurance, Head Start and foster care.
The census data is also used to redraw federal and state legislative district boundaries.
For these reasons, a complete and accurate census count is essential to the well-being of our state and all Californians.
City of Garden Grove Census 2020
The California Hard-to-Count (CA-HTC) Index is based on multiple demographic, housing and socioeconomic variables correlated with an area being difficult to enumerate. Census tracts with higher indexes are likely to be places that will pose significant challenges to enumerate in 2020.
- California Complete Count – Census 2020 Funding Methodology
- Progress Report on the Census Infrastructure, submitted to the Joint Legislative Budget Committee, the Assembly Select Committee on the Census, and the Senate Select Committee on the 2020 United States Census
- Initial Report to the Office of Governor Edmund G. Brown Jr. — Counting All Californians in the 2020 Census, submitted on behalf of the Census 2020 California Complete Count Committee and the California Government Operations Agency
U.S. Census Bureau Resources
- Complete Count Committee Training Manual
- Complete Count Committee Guide
- Sample Workplan — Activity Sheet
- Response Outreach Area Mapper (ROAM) Brochure
- Assembly Select Committee on the Census Homepage
- Senate Select Committee on 2020 United States Census Homepage
- Recorded Video & Agenda of the Aug. 13, 2018 Joint Info Hearing — “Connecting the Census to Californians: The Roles of Nonprofits and Local Governments”
- Recorded Video & Agenda of the May 22, 2018 Joint Info Hearing — “Every Californian Counts: Preparing for the 2020 Census”
Additional Online Resources
- Cities Count: Preparing for the 2020 Census, National League of Cities
- Ten Things You Can Do to Help Ensure a Complete Census Count, Institute for Local Government
- The 2020 Census and Political Representation in California, Public Policy Institute of California
- About the Census, United States Census Bureau
- Just the Facts: Californians and the 2020 Census, Public Policy Institute of California