SteelCraft Garden Grove, the newest open-air craft food and drink gathering space in Orange County celebrated its Grand Opening Thursday, September 26th, 2019. Founder and Creative Visionary, Kim Gros, also formally announced during the Ribbon Cutting Ceremony that renowned Wilson Creek Winery out of Temecula Valley is joining the SteelCraft Garden Grove family.
“Talk about a ‘wow!’ moment, Garden Grove is over-the-top thrilled, excited, and overjoyed to see SteelCraft add its one-of-a-kind vibe to our re-imagined downtown! The tremendous anticipation of their grand opening has been phenomenal, and goes beyond everyone’s expectations of what the largest, and first SteelCraft in Orange County brings to Garden Grove,” shared Honorable Mayor Steve Jones.
The 20,000 SF urban eatery, comprised of 22 repurposed shipping containers is woven together with a steel truss barn-like roof structure, reminiscent of Garden Grove and Orange County’s rich agricultural roots.
During the Ribbon Cutting Ceremony Gros said, “We set out to create a sense of community in a shared space. The tables are long, so you can sit next to someone you don’t know, over food and drink that is bar none, in the hopes that you will leave as friends.”
“Two years ago, this was an empty lot. Already, we can feel we have created a community within a community: artisans, in a shared space, serving the most thoughtful, creative food, beer, coffee, and dessert,” she shared.
Gros celebrated the vendor lineup, thanking each owner, chef, and team for exemplifying the SteelCraft core values of craft, community, and restoration.
SteelCraft Garden Grove is currently home to:
- Beachwood Brewing (@beachwoodsteelcraftgg): Long Beach-originated craft brewery with infinitely creative offerings ranging from a coffee mocha stout to a wide range of sours, with classics like pale ales and IPAs.
- Dark Horse Coffee Roasters (@darkhorsecoffee): The San Diego-favorite’s first location in Orange County; Try their unrivaled Guatemala pour over!
- Cauldron Ice Cream (@cauldronicecream): Small batch made-to-order liquid Nitrogen ice cream; Try it shaped into a rose in their OG Puffle Cone!
- Honey & Butter Macarons (@honeyandbutter): Made fresh-daily macarons; Get your hands on a “creature cookie” from owner Leanne, a Garden Grove High School alumna.
- The Nest: A Breakfast Joint (@eatatthenest): Early-morning through late-night breakfast cravings; Try the chilaquiles or shrimp and grits!
- The Chick ‘N Shack: Khao Man Gai (@thechicknshackkmg): Unbeatable, nostalgic Thai chicken and rice with house-made sauces; Pair with a fresh coconut or Thai tea!
- Barrio: Modern Filipino BBQ (@ocbarrio): Timeless, healthy, elevated skewers; Try the calamansi slushie or kinilaw (Filipino ceviche)!
- Renegade Taco (@renegadetaco): Fusion of Latin and Asian-style flavors; Vegan/vegetarian-friendly; Try the fried avocado or duck confit taco!
- The Penalty Box (@selannepenaltybox): Burgers and Gourmet Hot Dogs by Olympic Gold medalist and Hockey Hall of Famer Teemu Selanne; Try pucks (burgers), sticks (hot dogs), twigs (fries) or whipped ice (shakes).
Also joining the lineup:
- Wilson Creek Winery (@wilson_creek_winery): Family-owned, located in the heart of Temecula Valley Southern California Wine Country, known for its almond champagne, frosé, and variety of quality wines.
Martin Howard, Gros’s partner and President/CEO of SteelCraft builder-developer Howard CDM, shared his enthusiasm for the vision coming to life.
“Everywhere you look, every detail is beautifully executed,” said Howard. “The scope for SteelCraft Garden Grove called for multiple canalevered containers and a second story balcony. We introduced an arcade container, built ten custom businesses for each food and drink perveyor, and added private event and office space. Thanks to our talented and thoughtful team, their collective efforts on this challenging project have paid off ten-fold.”
He also thanked the architectural teams from Studio One Eleven for their landscaping, including drought-tolerant greenery and citrus trees, and the color palette, introducing a new vibrant sunshine yellow among the greys, red, and white.
Lisa Kim, Garden Grove Assistant City Manager and Community and Economic Development Director said, “Working with CEO and President Martin Howard’s creative and proven team from Howard CDM, and sharing the dynamic vision of SteelCraft founder Kim Gros has been an experience like no other. SteelCraft Garden Grove is an amazing project, built by amazing people, that overwhelms you with feelings that celebrate Garden Grove’s heritage and embrace family and community.”
Howard’s own scripted handwriting reads the word love in LED-lighting above the walkway adjoining Cauldron Ice Cream and the soon-to-be Wilson Creek Winery. A strawberry mural, a tribute to the City’s famous Annual Strawberry Festival, adorns reclaimed barn wood doors that open to a vintage video arcade inside a 40 foot shipping container.
Garden Grove City Manager Scott Stiles said, “From the beginning, the City knew this was going to be a very special place for everyone, and we were not disappointed. Thanks to the efforts of so many, the opening of SteelCraft Garden Grove highlights a huge accomplishment in turning Garden Grove from a place that only lived in our imagination, to what is now our reality.”
SteelCraft Garden Grove’s opening business hours will be 6:30 a.m. to 10:00 p.m. daily. Individual vendor hours vary.
SteelCraft Garden Grove is located at 12900 Euclid Street, Garden Grove, CA. Free parking is available in the surrounding lots directly behind SteelCraft Garden Grove (directly south of Garden Grove City Hall).