The County of Orange has opened a second application period for the Emergency Rental Assistance (ERA) program and is accepting applications through Friday, April 30, 2021 or until funding is exhausted. Eligible renter households with unpaid rent or utility bills due to the impact of COVID-19 are encouraged to apply at era.211oc.org, text ERA to 898211 or call 2-1-1.
The ERA will provide eligible applicants a maximum financial assistance of $10,000 to pay for rental arrears and past due utilities.
Eligibility criteria includes, but is not limited to:
- Rental households who can demonstrate that their housing stability is at risk due to unpaid rent or utility bills due to COVID-19.
- Rental households’ combined income must be at or below 80% area median income (AMI).
- Visit era.211oc.org to find the 80% AMI level for your household size.
Documentation requirements include:
- Photo ID
- Copy of a lease agreement
- Proof of income affected by COVID-19, such as an unemployment letter or letter from an employer that details your reduced hours or pay
- Proof of unpaid rent or utilities such as documentation from a landlord or utility company stating the amount owed and that it is overdue
Residents who applied for the ERA program during the month of February 2021 will receive a follow-up with guidance on the next steps from a regional provider.
The ERA does not apply to homeowners and past due mortgage payments, utilities, or energy costs and is solely to be used for renter households.
The cities of Anaheim, Santa Ana and Irvine received direct allocations from the U.S. Department of the Treasury and will be implementing their own programs.
For more information and to apply, visit era.211oc.org.