The City of Garden Grove is updating the Housing Element, Safety Element, Land Use Element, and adopting a new Environmental Justice Element to the Garden Grove General Plan. The community is invited to participate in an online survey available Monday, August 31, 2020 through Friday, September 25, 2020 to provide input towards creating a community housing strategy for the next eight years as well as a healthier community. The survey, available in multiple languages, can be accessed at ggcity.org/housing-element.
In California, cities are required to develop a general plan, a blueprint for future developments in the city that establishes goals, objectives, and policies. The Housing Element, a component to the general plan, is mandated by the state to be updated every eight years to identify housing needs for all income levels during specific planning periods by meeting its Regional Housing Needs Assessment (RHNA) allocation. The City of Garden Grove’s RHNA housing allocation for the 2021-2029 planning period is projected to be 19,124 units. Information about the RHNA methodology and allocation are available at scag.ca.gov/rhna.
The City is also updating the Safety and Land Use elements and adopting a new Environmental Justice Element to establish policies mandated by the state. The Safety Element establishes policies that will minimize the risk of personal injury, loss of life, property damage, and environmental damage associated with natural and man-made hazards. The Land Use Element reviews the uses of land for housing, businesses, industries, agriculture, open space, public facilities, and other categories. The new Environmental Justice Element will establish policies to reduce pollution, and to provide residents with access to healthy food, physical activity, and safe and sanitary housing.
Updating the elements in the Garden Grove General Plan is a 14-month process. Over the next four months, community surveys will be conducted online, and meetings will be held in compliance with the state and county COVID-19 orders. For more details and to register for meetings, visit ggcity.org/housing-element. Following are the dates and times for upcoming activities:
- First Community Online Survey – Monday, August 31, 2020 to Friday, September 25, 2020
- Virtual Neighborhood and Homeowner Associations Meeting – Thursday, September 3, 2020, from 6:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. (pre-registration required)
- Joint Planning Commission/Neighborhood Improvement Conservation Commission Study Session – Thursday, September 17, 2020 at 6:00 p.m. in the City Council Chamber, at the Garden Grove Community Meeting Center, at 11300 Stanford Avenue.
- Second Community Online Survey – Monday, October 19, 2020 to Thursday, November 5, 2020 (tentative)
- Virtual Community Meeting – Wednesday, November 4, 2020 at 6:00 p.m. (pre-registration required)
- Planning Commission Study Session – Thursday, November 19, 2020 at 6:00 p.m. in the City Council Chamber, at the Garden Grove Community Meeting Center
- City Council Study Session – Tuesday, November 24, 2020 at 5:30 p.m. in the City Council Chamber, at the Garden Grove Community Meeting Center
- City Council Public Hearing – Tuesday, December 8, 2020 at 6:30 p.m. in the City Council Chamber, at the Garden Grove Community Meeting Center